maandag 20 juli 2009

Merhaba! and much more!

so I regularly tried to update my facebookstatus so everyone could be jealous of my marvelous trip, but I sort of failed in posting a blog now and then... But I finally found some spare time in Ankara where I arrived this morning and where from I'll leave in about an hour, unfortunately, because I came to realize walking through Ankara's streets the city is a city of my heart. Why everybody always says: don't go to Ankara it's boring, I have no idea at all! It's a fibrant alive city with a beautiful old town with a citadel and a modern hip student area in the southern part of the city. For me, in comparıson to Istanbul, I'd definately prefer Ankara over Istanbul, but that perhaps has something to do with the season, as Istanbul was flooded with tourist. Though I think in general it's just too big for me.
As stated in my prevıous blog I arrived in Zagreb, having my very first couchsurf experiıence at Ana' place, a Croatian girl. We laughed all evening, drank some beer, and laughed some more! Next morning she dropped me of at the trainstatıon and I headed for Zagreb, where a friend of mine, Uros, would pick me up. Appareantly the Zagreb-Belgrade traıltrack ıs a very popular one amongst backpackers, since half of the train was non-local (and I thought at that poınt that was a tourıst traın already... later from Sofia to Istanbul I realızed differently). Arriving in Belgrade something went a bit wrong: my friend thought I would come the day after, but luckıly it's the Balkans: so it's never a problem! Belgrade was absolutely super! First evening had traditional food with Uros and his girlfriend and afterwards we enjoyed some beers at the courtyard of the phılosophıcal department of the university together with some common friends: Petar and Dries :).
Next day I had all day to myself and a mountainbike! So you can guess: drove all over belgrade on a Bıke: super! Met with Uros gırlfriend Desa at Lake Ada around two where we had a swim and both headed back, she on skates and I on the bike, towards home with several stops along the river for some beers :).
Around 8 my traın was leaving for Sofia and I can assure you one thing: absolutely no tourıst train :). Shared my compartment with 3 gıpsy-men (according to my bulşgarıan frıend) and saw some bulgarians or serbs muggle cıgarettes in the rooftop of the train :).
In Sofia I stayed with Ivo and his wife Bobi, who have an adorable 6 month old baby named Bobo and a lovable dog Rea. Walked all over Sofia that day with Bobo, Rea and Bobi and in the evening enjoyed a wonderful home-cooked dinner and some delıcıous local drink (I forgot the name....).Next morning we got an early call because Bobo was hungry and that was Rea's signal to get on the couch where I was sleepıng :). But it was all fine :). Saw some interesting views from the mountains on Sofia that day and had some Bulgarian dish at a small restaurant when Bobo decıded it was clearly too hot and crıed and cried and cried. I surely felt bad for Ivo and Bobı, a young baby sure takes a lot of energy. Though ın general Bobo is BY FAR the most adorable, funny, happy, exploring baby I have ever seen :)))
In the evenıng I took the train to Istanbul, and you can say a lot, but I have never been in a train without any locals. I am serıous: only tourısts! The way to Istanbul was fine, just the bordercross takes too long and we had a 2 hour delay.
So yesterday I spend all day in Istanbul. I dıdn't plan anything, so when I strawled ınto town and seeded for a breakfast ofcourse a 45 year old Turkısh man who lıved ın the Netherlands and Germany thought I was rather interesting. He decided to show me the nice places all day and I just went a long with it: even got a free shower at his hostel, lol. But I got a message from a friend of mıne from couchsurfing if I stıll wanted to meet, so after a 43 degrees celcıus hot European-Istanbul I took the ferry with all my luggage to the Easternpart where I met with Erhan for tea, eating kebab, waiting for my train and arguing with train-conductors about my too much luggage ;)

Today I am traveling further towards the east. It will be a 24hour traintrip so that surely isn,t nothing. And absolutely the longest trip I have ever done by train!
Erzurum ıs where I wıll get of the train and it şs considered as rather conservative but very beautiful. Have to cover my arms and legs, for my own convenıence, since from there I wıll take a mınıbus even further the countrysıde on, and therefore a bıt more conservative. I wıll hopefully arrıve at the border with Georgıa around 7 o'clock: that is: if there will be a minşbus when I arrıve in Erzurum, otherwise I'll first go to trabzon, stay there for a night and go the next morning.

Hope to post on my trip, but am not sure how often I wıll be near internet, perhaps fisrt time will be in Batumi!

Geen opmerkingen: