dinsdag 14 juli 2009

Big-trip update nr 2

Today I arrived in Zagreb, and tomorrow I’ll travel too Belgrade, but already I had some trip. The following I wrote when I thought it would be a nice quiet evening with two wonderful hungarian people, unfortunately afterwards a Dutch (why for g*&^ds sake a Dutch person, of all places!) entered our couch and clearly had too much to drink. Though adding I still love travelling by train :)
As I take my seat and make an attempt to put my way too heavy backpack on the above storage an older man approaches me and speaks a tongue i cannot place; it is obvious he offering his help, I feel guilty since he is approximately 60 years old, however, he insists. And that is how I came to meet István and Istvánné Kedvesi; the hungarian couple I share a couch with from Strasbourg till Vienna; as a later understand, they will go further by train to their city on the border of Hungary and Austria. They both do not speak a word of English (though some german), and in the beginning, especially Istvánné is rather unpleased with the company of some nitwit student with a noisy phone, until she understands it’s her phone that has been ringing instead of mine, and the ice is broken. With a little bit of German they are both quite capable of explaining all their life to me, starting with the fact Istvánné buys all her cosmetics in Austria, since it is so incredible cheap compared to their village, and resulting in an hour long ode to Rome, the city she loves with all her heart. Then István shows me the pictures of the trips they have taken. They tell me about their families, how Istváns sister born and raised in France is very distant in her feelings towards them, and how they believe families should be tight and friendly towards each other. Although I am already as tired as can be (and I am only starting my journey) I enjoy listening to their stories very much and practice my horrible german with them. It is unbelievable what people can tell with just a few words, and how close you can get that they start to talk about their private lives. Soon i understand they have been married since they were 18, new each other before that, childhood friends, and were separated during a period of 6 years, but found each other again. The romance of the story, Istvánné and István both
And that is why I love traveling by train and I absolutely enjoy traveling on my own: the people you meet, the friendliness, the stories. Looking forward to the following period :).

Geen opmerkingen: