woensdag 5 augustus 2009

tensions in SO one year after war

The last couple of months there have been several analysts switching over from 'there will def. be war in august again' to 'it is absolutely clear there wont be any conflict this summer'. I myself, also, made that switch, multiple times. However, arriving in Georgia in the end of July just took all my worries away. Life seemed great, only parties, sunny weather with an occasional rain, and most of all: happy people; and when I attended a summer seminar of the highly respected Alexander Rondeli on Russia-Georgia relations, stating it was absolutely without a doubt no conflict would erupt this summer, I wasn't worried myself at all. Unfortunately, Russia posted a comment on it's gov website saying tensions in the SO area had arisen due to shelling from Georgian side, and therefore they put their troops in battle-position; even though these allegations could not be found proven by the EU-monitors, who are ironically praised by Russia in another statement. Anyway, I got a bit scared after reading that statement, and decided to call yesterday my friend Soso, who always knows everything, everywhere, always. I was glad to hear he thought nothing would happen, but underlined we never can be sure. Lets just keep a close eye on Russia's moves, and hope it will all blow over.

Geen opmerkingen: